Terms of Reference
1. Assignment Title: Programme Intern
2. Duration: 3 months (renewable for an additional 3 months)
3. Expected starting date: 09th December 2013
4. Host Agency: United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) – Brazil
5. Organizational Context: Brazil is a signatory to the main international human rights instruments and is party to the 1951 Convention on the Status of Refugees and its 1967 Protocol. Brazil enacted its Refugee Law Act 9.474/97 on 23 July 1997. The law contains the protection mechanisms of the 1951 Convention and its 1967 Protocol and incorporates the broader refugee definition of the 1984 Cartagena Declaration which includes the formulation “generalized violation of human rights” applicable to situations of generalized violence and armed conflict. The UNHCR office in Brazil carries out its mandate of providing international protection and seeking durable solutions for refugees and other persons of concern through a close partnership with the government and with a number of partners from civil society. Refugees have formal access to health care, education and work. Insertion into the labour market and affordable housing remain the main challenges for the achievement of self-reliance by refugees.
6. Brief Project Description: UNHCR Brazil works in a tripartite model that includes the Federal Government and civil society organizations to promote the local integration for refugees living in the country. Through formal agreements established with 6 NGOs in different states, the Programme Unit is responsible for coordinating and monitoring the implementation of settlement services provided by these implementing partners according to the project cycle and with initiatives aiming at fostering integration opportunities.
7. Description of Duties: Under the direct supervision of the Programme Unit, the intern will undertake the following tasks:
- Provide support to the management of the Programme Unit;
- Collect and compile supporting data and documentation;
- Draft documents, conduct research on assigned topics and present information;
- Contact partners, when requested by supervisors;
- Translate reports and other documents;
- Perform other duties as required.
- Undergraduate student majoring in International Relations, Social Sciences, Business Administration, or other related area;
- Fluency in Portuguese and English;
- Previous relevant work experience is an asset;
- Proactiveness, flexibility and adaptability to deal with persons from different cultural backgrounds;
- Ability to work under pressure and manage stress efficiently;
- Computer skills (office package and Internet).
9. Conditions of Service: The intern will work at the UNHCR office in Brasilia, from Monday to Friday, on a part-time basis. This is a voluntary internship with no financial stipend. The intern will be provided with a Certificate of Internship upon satisfactory conclusion of the assignment.
10. Application: Detailed curriculum vitae should be sent to TAKAHASL@unhcr.org, by 03rd December (Tuesday) quoting reference “Programme Intern”. Only the short-listed candidates will be contacted, as they will be required to sit a test.
More information here.